- BC Gov News - news.gov.bc.ca
Additional Information from Source
For a breakdown of funding by local government, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/BG_GrowingCommunitiesFund.pdf
For information about the Growing Communities Fund, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/28220
For information about the provincial surplus, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/27862
For a detailed calculation method for the Growing Communities Fund, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/factsheets/detailed-calculation-method-for-the-growing-communities-fund
Estimated reading time
The B.C. government will be investing a total of $1-billion in all 188 municipalities and regional districts to support the financial strain associated with keeping up with the demands of a growing population. This fund is designed to allow municipalities to replace older systems, and improve current services to better support their community.
The B.C. government has committed a total of $1-billion between all 188 municipalities and regional districts. Each municipality or district will receive an initial $500,000 with additional funds calculated based on population size and per-capita population growth since 2016. Funds are reported to be released by the end of March 2023, and municipalities will be required to report the use of their funds in their annual audited financial statements. More information and guidance on the use of these funds are expected to be released in the coming weeks.
Ways to Invest In Improving Your Services
A growing community increases the importance of having effective online tools when it comes to communicating and sharing information with your citizens. Upanup has partnered with many municipalities to create and enhance websites to better serve their communities. If you don't already have a wishlist drafted for ways to better digitally support your growing community, we have listed some ways you could invest in your growing community based on our experience and industry trends:
- Engagement Platform – With a growing community comes increased projects and initiatives, and the importance of connecting with your residents on key decisions. Keep your citizens involved by giving them a voice, and a means to participate in decisions that impact the community. Learn more about our Engagement Platform.
- Software integrations – incorporating third-party software right into your website provides a seamless experience for your users. For example, PerfectMind integrations can provide your users with the ability to quickly and efficiently sign up for recreational programs directly on your site! We can incorporate activity search tools, or even create your own program guide like North Vancouver Recreation & Culture (NVRC).
- Online services – By moving services such as permit applications, pothole reporting, facility booking requests etc. online you will create an efficient process for not only your users but also your internal staff. See king.ca for more online services ideas.
- Municipal Apps – A municipal app will provide you with additional opportunities to connect with your audiences and increase engagement. Users will also have to option to find information easily when they are on the go, and receive real-time notifications at the push of a button. Learn more about our Community App.
- Tools and features – You could provide additional value to your users by creating tools such as the Township of Clearview's tax estimator calculator.
- Website Redesign – If your existing website is cumbersome, difficult to navigate or manage this may be a great opportunity to do a complete website redesign. If you are unsure view this news post to help determine if it is time for a redesign project.
We highly recommend reviewing your digital communications tools to see if any of our offerings can help support your growing community. If you aren't sure where you would like to make improvements, get in touch with Upanup's experts and we can help review your needs and make recommendations!